Dev Diwali 2023: In the ancient city of Varanasi, the vibrant festival of Dev Diwali is celebrated with great zeal and enthusiasm. Also known as the “Festival of Lights of the Gods,” Dev Diwali holds a significant place in Sanatan Dharma (Hinduism). It is observed on the full moon day of the Kartik month, which falls exactly 15 days after Diwali. This year, Dev Diwali 2023 will be celebrated on November 27th.
Overview Of Dev Diwali:
Dev Diwali is a unique festival that takes place on the banks of the sacred River Ganges in Varanasi. It is believed that on this auspicious day, the gods descend to the holy land of Kashi (Varanasi) and celebrate Diwali. The festival is marked by the lighting of clay lamps (diyas) on the ghats of Varanasi, creating a mesmerizing sight. The entire city is adorned with decorations, and a joyous atmosphere fills the air.
History And Significance Of Dev Diwali:
According to legend, Dev Diwali commemorates the victory of Lord Shiva over the demon Tripurasura. Believers hold that on Kartik Purnima, Lord Shiva killed Tripurasura, and all the gods and goddesses celebrated this triumph together. Since then, generations have passed down the tradition of celebrating Dev Diwali on Kartik Purnima in Varanasi. The festival symbolizes the triumph of good over evil and the dispelling of darkness with the brilliance of knowledge and righteousness.
Celebrations And Activities – Dev Diwali 2023:
Dev Diwali is a grand celebration that attracts thousands of devotees and tourists from all over the world. The festival begins with a sacred dip in the holy Ganges, symbolizing the cleansing of the soul and the start of a new spiritual journey. As darkness falls, the ghats of the Ganges come alive with the warm glow of millions of earthen lamps. Devotees light diyas, creating a breathtaking spectacle that transforms the riverfront into a sea of flickering lights.
Apart from the lighting of lamps, various activities and rituals take place during Dev Diwali. Boat rides along the riverfront offer a panoramic view of the beautifully decorated ghats and the aarti (ritual offering) performed for the Ganga River. Visitors can also witness cultural programs, classical music performances, and a shilp mela (arts and crafts fair) during the Ganga Mahotsav, a five-day festival that coincides with Dev Diwali.
Rituals And Worship – Dev Diwali 2023:
Devotees perform several rituals on Dev Diwali to seek blessings and spiritual enlightenment. Considering it auspicious, taking a holy bath in the Ganges during the Kartik month brings favorable results. After bathing in the holy river, devotees offer deepdan (lighted lamps) to the Ganga as a symbol of devotion and surrender. This act signifies the dispelling of darkness and the ushering in of light and positivity in one’s life.
The highlight of Dev Diwali is the Ganga aarti, a mesmerizing ritual performed in the evening. Twenty-one young Brahmin priests and twenty-four young women participate in the aarti, chanting hymns, beating drums, blowing conch shells, and offering prayers to the river. The aarti is a sight to behold, as the ghats come alive with the rhythmic movements and the divine atmosphere created by the rituals.
Ganga Mahotsav: A Celebration Of Culture:
Ganga Mahotsav is a festival that coincides with Dev Diwali and showcases the rich cultural heritage of Varanasi. This tourist-centric festival spans over five days, featuring classical music, a country boat race, a shilp mela, sculpture displays, and martial arts performances. The festival culminates on the day of Dev Diwali, with the ghats of the Ganges glittering with more than a million lit-up earthen lamps.
Quotes And Wishes For Dev Diwali:
- “As the diyas flicker in celebration, may the divine light within us shine brighter, dispelling ignorance and embracing enlightenment.” – Rumi
- “On Dev Diwali, let every lamp remind us that even in the darkest moments, the light of hope and goodness can never be extinguished.” – Amit Ray
- “May the lights of Dev Diwali fill your home with happiness and prosperity. Sending you warm wishes for a blessed and joyous festival!”
- “Wishing you a Dev Diwali that sparkles with moments of love, kindness, and the joy of togetherness. Have a luminous celebration!”
Messages And Greetings – Dev Diwali 2023:
- “May the divine light of Dev Diwali illuminate your path, bringing joy and prosperity to your life. Happy Dev Diwali!”
- “Wishing you and your family a year filled with love, laughter, and countless blessings. Happy Dev Diwali!”
- “May the glow of the diyas on Dev Diwali brighten your spirits and guide you towards success and happiness. Wishing you a joyous festival!”
- “Sending heartfelt wishes for a Dev Diwali filled with peace, harmony, and the warmth of family and friends. Have a blessed celebration!”
- “May the divine energy of Dev Diwali bring serenity to your mind, health to your body, and success to your endeavors. Happy festivities!”
Additional Information – Dev Diwali 2023:
- The Yogi government plans to illuminate the ghats with 12 lakh lamps, with one lakh lamps made of cow dung.
- Expect eight to nine lakh tourists to visit Varanasi for Dev Diwali.
- Ambassadors and delegates from 70 countries will be present to witness the grandeur of the festival.
- Organizers will host a laser show at Chet Singh Ghat, showcasing the religious and cultural significance of Kashi.
- Security arrangements, including the deployment of NDRF teams and water police personnel, ensure the safety of devotees and tourists.
- The festival is a major tourist attraction, with visitors describing the sight of a million lamps lighting up the ghats and the river as breathtaking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Dev Diwali 2023:
Q: When is Dev Diwali 2023?
A: Dev Diwali 2023 falls on November 27th, which is the full moon day of the Hindu month of Kartik.
Q: What is the significance of Dev Diwali?
A: Dev Diwali celebrates Lord Shiva’s triumph over the demon Tripurasur, symbolizing the victory of good over evil. On this day, believers hold that the gods descend to Earth and celebrate by lighting lamps.
Q: What are some activities and rituals during Dev Diwali?
A: Some of the activities and rituals during Dev Diwali include taking a holy bath in the Ganges, offering oil-lighted lamps to the river, boat rides along the riverfront, and capturing the moments through photography.
Q: What is Ganga Mahotsav?
A: Ganga Mahotsav is a five-day festival in Varanasi that coincides with Dev Diwali. It showcases the rich cultural heritage of the city and includes various cultural programs, music performances, boat races, arts and crafts fairs, and martial arts demonstrations. The festival culminates on the final day with the lighting of a million earthen lamps on the ghats of the Ganges.
Dev Diwali, the festival of lights, brings immense joy and spirituality to the city of Varanasi. The lighting of lamps on the ghats of the Ganges creates a mesmerizing spectacle that attracts tourists from all over the world. It is a time to celebrate the victory of good over evil and to seek blessings from the gods. As the divine light illuminates the city, may Dev Diwali bring peace, prosperity, and happiness to all.