Dhanteras Puja Vidhi 2023: Dhanteras, also known as Dhanvantari Trayodashi, is a highly auspicious festival that marks the beginning of the Diwali celebration. It is a time to celebrate wealth, prosperity, and the blessings of Goddess Lakshmi. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the significance of Dhanteras, the rituals and traditions associated with the festival, the puja vidhi (worship procedure), important muhurat (auspicious timings), prashad (offerings), and much more.
Introduction To Dhanteras:
Dhanteras, derived from the words “Dhana” meaning wealth, and “Teras” meaning thirteen, is celebrated on the thirteenth day of the Kartik month. It is believed that whatever one buys on this day brings rich benefits. Dhanteras holds great importance as it is associated with the birth anniversary of Lord Dhanvantari, the father of Ayurveda, and the incarnation of Lord Vishnu who emerged with the nectar of immortality during the churning of the ocean.
Significance Of Dhanteras:
Dhanteras is a day to seek the blessings of Goddess Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and prosperity, and Lord Dhanvantari, the god of health. It is believed that worshiping them on this day brings good fortune, abundance, and longevity. People clean their homes to welcome the goddess and light diyas to ward off evil energies. It is also considered an auspicious time to buy gold, silver, utensils, and electronic appliances, as it is believed that these purchases will bring prosperity and good luck.
Dhanteras Puja Vidhi: Worship Procedure:
Performing the Dhanteras puja with devotion and following the correct vidhi (procedure) is essential. Here is a step-by-step guide to performing the Dhanteras puja:
Preparing for the Puja:
- Cleanse the puja area and place a chowki (small table) covered with a crimson or yellow cloth.
- Place idols or images of Lord Dhanvantari, Goddess Lakshmi, and Lord Kuber on the chowki.
Lighting the Diya:
- Light a diya (oil lamp) in front of the deities and keep it burning throughout the puja.
- Offer Akshat (rice grains) at the bottom of the diya.
Offering Prayers and Mantras:
- Begin the puja by offering prayers to Lord Ganesha for the removal of obstacles.
- Recite mantras dedicated to Lord Dhanvantari, Goddess Lakshmi, and Lord Kuber. Seek their blessings for health, wealth, and prosperity.
Worshiping the Deities:
- Offer flowers, roli kumkum, turmeric, yellow rice, betel leaves, and Shree Phal to the deities.
- Light incense sticks and wave them in a circular motion in front of the deities.
- Offer Naivedya, consisting of fruits, sweets, and dry fruits, to the deities.
Aarti and Prayers:
- Perform the aarti by circling the diya in front of the deities.
- Sing devotional songs and chant mantras praising the deities.
- Conclude the puja by seeking the blessings of the deities for prosperity and well-being.
Important Muhurat For Dhanteras Puja Vidhi 2023:
Choosing the right muhurat (auspicious timing) for the Dhanteras puja is crucial. Here are the important muhurat timings for Dhanteras puja vidhi in 2023:
- Dhanteras Puja Muhurat: 5:47 PM to 7:43 PM on November 10, 2023
- Pradosh Kaal: 5:30 PM to 8:08 PM
- Vrishabha Kaal: 5:47 PM to 7:43 PM
- Trayodashi Tithi begins: 12:35 PM on November 10, 2023
- Trayodashi Tithi ends: 1:57 PM on November 11, 2023
Prashad And Dishes For Dhanteras Puja Vidhi:
Preparing prashad (offerings) and special dishes for Dhanteras puja adds to the festive spirit. Here are some popular Prashad and dishes associated with Dhanteras:
- Wheat and various pulses: Offer these grains as prashad to the deities.
- Whole wheat halwa: Prepare this sweet dish and offer it to Goddess Lakshmi.
- Panchamrit: It is a special beverage made with milk, sugar, honey, ghee, and curd. Offer it to the deities.
Celebrations, Traditions, And Rituals Of Dhanteras Puja Vidhi:
People celebrate Dhanteras with great enthusiasm and observe various traditions and rituals. Here are some notable celebrations and practices:
- Making Dhanteras rangoli: Decorate the entrance of your home with colorful rangoli designs to welcome Goddess Lakshmi.
- Buying gold, silver, and utensils: It is considered auspicious to purchase these items on Dhanteras, as they symbolize wealth and prosperity.
- Lighting diyas: Light diyas and lamps in and around your home to drive away negative energies and invite positive vibrations.
- Worshiping Lord Yamraj: Light a diya in the evening, known as “Yamadeep,” to dispel fear and anxiety associated with the deity of death, Lord Yamraj.
Things To Avoid On Dhanteras:
While celebrating Dhanteras, there are certain things to avoid. Here are some practices to keep in mind:
- Avoid buying glass or plaster of Paris idols.
- Do not buy sharp objects such as scissors, knives, or pins on Dhanteras.
- People believe that purchasing products black in color may bring bad luck.
- As per traditions, refrain from buying oil and ghee on Dhanteras.
Vastu Tips For Dhanteras Puja Vidhi:
Incorporating Vastu tips while performing the Dhanteras puja can enhance the positive energy in your home. Here are some Vastu tips to consider:
- Draw a Swastik symbol on the main entrance of your home using turmeric and rice powder paste.
- Purify your home by using saltwater, believed to eliminate negative energies.
- Choose the northeast corner for the Dhanteras puja and position the idols facing the east direction.
Additional Information – Dhanteras Puja Vidhi 2023:
- Dhanteras is also known as Dhanwantari Triodasi or Dhanvantri Jayanti, celebrating the birth anniversary of Lord Dhanvantari, the father of Ayurveda.
- Lord Dhanvantari emerged during the Samudra Manthan (churning of the ocean) with the knowledge of Ayurveda to aid in the treatment of illnesses.
- The Ministry of AYUSH recognizes Dhanteras as the “National Ayurveda Day”.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) About Dhanteras Puja Vidhi 2023:
Q1. Can I perform the Dhanteras puja at any time during the day?
Ans: It is advisable to perform the Dhanteras puja during the auspicious muhurat mentioned earlier to receive maximum benefits.
Q2. Can I perform the Dhanteras puja at home?
Ans: Yes, you can perform the Dhanteras puja at home by following the puja vidhi mentioned earlier.
Q3. What should I do with the Prashad after the puja?
Ans: Family members can distribute and consume the blessed offering of Prashad after the puja.
Q4. Can I buy other items besides gold and silver on Dhanteras?
Ans: Yes, Believers consider buying other auspicious items such as utensils, electronic appliances, and brooms to bring prosperity.
Q5. Is it necessary to clean the house before Dhanteras?
Ans: Yes, it is considered auspicious to clean the house before Dhanteras, as it is believed that Goddess Lakshmi only enters clean and tidy homes.
Dhanteras is a festival that celebrates wealth, prosperity, and the blessings of Goddess Lakshmi. By following the Dhanteras puja vidhi, performing the rituals, and seeking the blessings of Lord Dhanvantari and Goddess Lakshmi, one can invite abundance, good health, and happiness into their lives. May this Dhanteras bring immense prosperity and joy to you and your loved ones!
**Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for general informational purposes only. It is always advisable to consult with a qualified priest or expert for personalized guidance and to perform the puja according to individual beliefs and traditions.