Kaal Bhairav Ashtami: Kaal Bhairav Ashtami is a significant Hindu festival dedicated to the worship of Lord Kaal Bhairav, a fierce manifestation of Lord Shiva. It is celebrated annually to honor the birth anniversary of Lord Kaal Bhairav, also known as the God of Time. This festival holds immense importance for devotees of Lord Shiva and is observed with great devotion and enthusiasm.
Overview Of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami:
Kaal Bhairav Ashtami is celebrated on the Ashtami Tithi (eighth day) of the Krishna Paksha (waning phase of the moon) according to the Hindu calendar. It usually falls in the months of Kartik (October-November) or Margashirsha (November-December) as per the Gregorian calendar. This auspicious day holds even more significance when it coincides with a Tuesday or Sunday, dedicated to worship Lord Kaal Bhairav.
Significance Of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami:
Devotees revere Lord Kaal Bhairav as the fierce form of Lord Shiva, believing he protects them from negative influences and wrongdoings. Worshipping Lord Kaal Bhairav on this day is said to bestow courage, happiness, and protection from evil spirits. Believers also hold that it removes obstacles, brings success, and grants prosperity to the devotees’ lives. The festival of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami is an opportunity for devotees to seek the blessings of Lord Kaal Bhairav and experience spiritual growth and transformation.
Date And Time Of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami 2023:
In the year 2023, people will observe Kaal Bhairav Ashtami on Tuesday, December 5th. The Ashtami Tithi begins at 09:59 PM on December 4th and ends at 12:37 AM on December 6th.
Rituals And Puja Vidhi Of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami:
The celebration of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami involves various rituals and puja vidhi to honor Lord Kaal Bhairav. Here is a step-by-step guide to performing the puja:
- Preparation: Devotees wake up early in the morning and take a holy bath to cleanse themselves both spiritually and physically. They then clean their houses, especially the puja room, to create a pure and sacred environment.
- Idol and Offerings: Devotees bring an idol or picture of Lord Kaal Bhairav and place it in their puja room. They light a diya (lamp) with mustard oil and offer a garland to the deity.
- Chanting and Prayers: Devotees recite the Kaal Bhairav Ashtakam or other prayers dedicated to Lord Kaal Bhairav. They offer their heartfelt prayers and seek the blessings of the deity for protection, courage, and success.
- Temple Visit: Many devotees visit Kaal Bhairav temples on this day to seek the direct presence of the deity. They offer milk and alcohol as offerings to Lord Kaal Bhairav and seek his divine grace.
- Special Bhog: Meetha Rott or other special prasad is prepared and offered to Lord Kaal Bhairav. Distribute this prasad among the devotees as a symbol of receiving the divine blessings.
- Fasting: Some devotees observe a fast on Kaal Bhairav Ashtami to show their devotion and seek spiritual purification. They abstain from consuming food and water until they complete the puja rituals.
- Evening Aarti: In the evening, a grand Aarti is performed in temples and homes. Devotees light multiple diyas and offer prayers to Lord Kaal Bhairav.Devotees fill the atmosphere with devotion and divine energy.
- Breaking the Fast: Devotees break their fast after sunset by consuming simple and sattvic food. Believers hold that breaking the fast with humility and gratitude enhances the blessings received from Lord Kaal Bhairav.
Benefits Of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami Puja:
The puja and observance of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami offer several benefits to the devotees:
Protection and Courage:
Worshipping Lord Kaal Bhairav on this auspicious day provides protection from negative energies, evil spirits, and wrongdoings. It instills courage and strength in the devotees to overcome obstacles and challenges in life.
Success and Prosperity:
The blessings of Lord Kaal Bhairav bring success and prosperity in various aspects of life, including education, career, and business. It removes financial difficulties and ensures growth and abundance.
Participating in the puja and rituals of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami promotes spiritual growth and transformation. It deepens the connection with the divine and brings inner peace and enlightenment.
Removal of Doshas:
Believers consider the puja as a means to alleviate the malefic effects of planetary doshas, especially Rahu and Shani doshas. It brings harmony and balance to the devotee’s horoscope, leading to a harmonious life.
Worshipping Lord Kaal Bhairav helps in removing obstacles and hurdles from the devotee’s path. It provides clarity, guidance, and the strength to overcome challenges and achieve goals.
Celebrations Of Kaal Bhairav Ashtami:
- People across India celebrate Kaal Bhairav Ashtami with great fervor and enthusiasm.
- Devotees visit Kaal Bhairav temples and offer their prayers and offerings to seek the blessings of the deity.
- Adorn the temples with flowers and lights, creating a vibrant and divine ambiance.
- In various cities, devotees take out processions, known as Shobhayatras, showcasing their devotion and love for Lord Kaal Bhairav.
- In some regions, devotees also organize bhandaras (community feasts) to distribute food among the needy and perform acts of charity.
Mantras For Kaal Bhairav Ashtami:
Chanting mantras dedicated to Lord Kaal Bhairav during the puja can amplify the spiritual experience and invoke the divine grace. Here are a few powerful mantras associated with Lord Kaal Bhairav:
- Om Kaalakaalaaya Vidhmahey Kaalaatheethaaya, dheemahi Thanno Kaala Bhairava Prachodhayaath..!!
- Hrim batukaya apadudharanaya kuru kuru batukaya hrim
- Om Hreem Vam Vatukarasa Apaduddharaka vatukaaya hreem
- Om Hraam Hreem Hroom Hrime Hroum Ksham Kshetrapaalaaya Kaala Bhairavaaya Namaha
Additional Information About Kaal Bhairav Ashtami:
- Devotees often observe a fast on Kaal Bhairav’s Ashtami to express their devotion and seek spiritual purification.
- People celebrate the festival not only in North India but also in South India, with regional variations in rituals and customs.
- Devotees observe Kaal Bhairav Jayanti as the ideal occasion to visit the eight temples of Ashta Bhairava in Varanasi, undertaking an eight-day pilgrimage.
- Devotees believe that Lord Kaal Bhairav is the protector of those who fear the cycle of suffering and provides relief from black magic and evil spirits.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) For Kaal Bhairav Ashtami:
Q: Can anyone observe the fast on Kaal Bhairav Ashtami?
A: Yes, anyone who wishes to express their devotion can observe the fast, irrespective of age or gender.
Q: Are there any specific rules or restrictions during the fast?
A: During the fast, advisors suggest devotees abstain from consuming non-vegetarian food, alcohol, and tobacco. They also recommend maintaining a pure and positive mindset.
Q: Can the puja be performed at home?
A: Yes, Perform the puja at home with devotion and sincerity. Also, consider visiting a Kaal Bhairav temple for auspicious blessings.
Q: What is the significance of offering alcohol to Lord Kaal Bhairav?
A: Offering alcohol symbolizes surrendering one’s ego and desires to the divine. Devotees believe that performing rituals pleases Lord Kaal Bhairav and invokes his blessings.
Kaal Bhairav Ashtami is a powerful and auspicious festival that celebrates the birth anniversary of Lord Kaal Bhairav, the fierce form of Lord Shiva. It holds immense significance for devotees of Lord Shiva and offers an opportunity to seek divine blessings, protection, and spiritual growth. By performing the rituals, chanting mantras, and observing the fast, devotees can experience a deeper connection with Lord Kaal Bhairav and attain success, prosperity, and inner peace in their lives.